- If you work a minimum of 20 hours/week for 20 or more weeks of the year with a NDPERS employer, are at least eighteen years of age, and filling a permanent regularly funded position, you must participate unless you are eligible to opt out or special provisions apply.
- If you are an eligible part-time or temporary employee with a NDPERS employer, you may elect to participate at your own expense within the first 180 days of beginning employment.
- Every month you contribute to your NDPERS retirement plan, you earn service credit. Your account balance accrues interest compounded monthly at 7.00%. Effective 1/1/2021, this will change to 6.50%.
- Your lifetime, monthly benefit is calculated based on a formula. Some of the factors in the formula may differ for participants based on their enrollment and retirement dates.
- You may elect to purchase service credit to increase your future monthly retirement benefit.
- If you become permanently disabled while actively contributing, your retirement plan includes a disability option.
- In the event of a divorce, please review the Qualified Domestic Relations Order for additional information.