The Dakota Plan is a fully insured health plan underwritten by Sanford Health Plan (SHP). According to North Dakota Century Code (NDCC) 54-52.1-03.1, political subdivisions may offer the benefits of the NDPERS group health plan to its eligible employees subject to the criteria provided in the Employer Participation Agreement. However, according to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), small employers, defined as 50 employees or less will not be eligible to participate in the NDPERS group health plan because the plan does not meet the ACA requirements. For employers eligible to join NDPERS, it requires 60-90 days to enroll a new group.
Please review the eligibility and coverage information carefully as it explains the rights and responsibilities of both the employer and employee.
Steps to Enrollment
- Refer to the new employer group Health Plan Enrollment Information regarding employee eligibility and employer/employee participation and contribution requirements.
- Complete and submit an Eligibility Assessment Questionnaire (SFN 58781) for NDPERS to determine if your agency is an eligible political subdivision.
- Submit signed board resolution with required NDPERS language.
- Contracts must be completed and submitted to NDPERS.
- Employee Applications/Waivers must be completed and returned to NDPERS prior to employer effective date.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the NDPERS Health Plan please contact our office at 1-800-803-7377 or 1-701-328-3900.